ABOUT THE BICYCLE COALITION OF GREATER PHILADELPHIA
Our small staff come from many walks of life, but everyone here shares the same passion: making bicycling a safe and fun way to get around for anyone in Greater Philadelphia. We work hard to improve bicycling for all people, but we do not lose sight of the fact that bicycling is fun. We have been around since 1972, but we are ambitious and growing. We partner with community, governmental, public and private actors in order to effect change that makes our streets safer for everyone.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Communications Manager is the keeper of our voice and our main storyteller. This person should be able to craft compelling messages that convey the joys of bicycling while furthering our mission and programs. The ideal candidate also has a laser-like attention to detail and a strong commitment to diversity of all kinds. You thrive in a busy workplace environment, and can handle a hundred distractions with a cool head and good humor. You do not have to be a serious bicyclist, but you must believe that bicycles are for anyone.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Communications Manager works across all departments and reports to the Deputy Director.
The Communications Manager will:
- Work primarily out of the Bicycle Coalition office.
- Occasionally work outdoors.
- Work some evenings and weekends.
- Travel to evening meetings as well as several national events a year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Manager will:
- Be responsible for the Bicycle Coalition’s 2014-2017 Strategic Plan communication benchmarks
- Participate in all messaging and strategic planning decisions related to communications
- Manage and/or create content for BCGP websites, blogs, social media and newsletters
- Serve as community manager for BCGP’s members and public audience
- Manage assigned projects and collaborations
- Create materials and anticipate promotional needs for all organizational departments
- Cultivate press contacts, respond to press inquiries, coordinate assignment of press requests to staff
- Supervise interns and independent contractors as needed
- Maintain organizational media and communications assets
- A strong commitment to the Bicycle Coalition’s mission.
- Three or more years’ experience in journalism, public relations, or communications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of any age, ability, cultural group, economic status, or sexual orientation.
- A professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to write and speak in a professional, friendly, and accurate manner.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to adapt writing to suit a variety of audiences and communication channels.
- Ability to complete work in an unstructured and informal environment with limited supervision.
- Problem solving skills, creativity, flexibility, a sense of humor, and self-motivation.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, social media, and Google Drive.
- Experience bicycling in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey.
- Experience producing newsletter content for a membership organization.
- Experience managing websites using WordPress and Apostrophe.
- Experience with the Adobe Design Suite and graphic design.
- Experience with online giving and analyzing web metrics to improve engagement and drive fundraising results.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a cover letter telling us about yourself and why you would be a great fit for the Bicycle Coalition and this position. In addition, submit a resume and a 1-2 page writing sample. References will be requested as the hiring process moves forward.
Please email applications to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applicants received before Wednesday, September 17th, 2014.
We thank all applicants for your interest; we will contact only those selected for interviews.
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls, but email questions are permitted.
The Bicycle Coalition is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.
817 total views, 8 today