Position: Communications Director
Do you want to help change the world? Do you aspire to help create places people love? Are you an excellent writer? Do you sometimes edit the newspaper for fun? Do you have creative ideas about how to market events? If you feel like you meet these qualifications, you might be a great match for our vibrant, fun, and challenging work environment.
Organization: The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. A membership-based, advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU seeks to restore urbanist design and planning techniques to common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great place making and seeks to remove barriers to urbanism. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
Summary: CNU seeks an experienced communications and marketing professional to provide leadership on all aspects of CNU’s communication issues, including, but not limited to, developing and editing written materials, marketing events, managing CNU’s social media, and coordinating with the press. The Communications Director reports to the President & CEO.
Qualities: CNU seeks a Communications Director who embodies a certain set of characteristics and skills; qualities that distinguish him/her from the crowd. The ideal candidate will display the following qualities:
- The Communications Director will be an exception writer, editor and verbal communicator.
- The Communications Director will be a creative and organized leader, capable of setting direction and executing tasks and responsibilities.
- The Communications Director will have a proven track record of successful communications strategies and messages.
Responsibilities: The range of responsibilities for the Communications Director is varied and diverse, key responsibilities are listed in priority order.
- Writer, editor, and coordinator of all written materials coming from CNU Headquarters, including such items as editorials, marketing materials, web content, factsheets, publications, etc.
- Develop, direct, and execute a creative communication strategy, positioning the organization as a prime source of expertise and solutions for more sustainable, healthy and economically vital communities.
- Strategize on CNU’s broader communication’s message and develop specific elements to implement that message.
- Distribute timely and frequent communications via CNU’s communication channels (social media, email list serves, website, and other news outlets), establishing CNU as a social media leader.
- Serve as the organization’s chief point of contact for media and media inquiries. Monitor media coverage and coordinate with CEO or Board for appropriate response. Develop, direct and execute an annual Congress communications plan, including translation and promotion of the theme to potential attendees and media.
- Create strategic and visually appealing communications pieces that convey CNU’s core mission and values, including CNU.org and the Congress website.
- Create and deliver presentations to key audiences regarding CNU’s benefits and solutions
- Collaborate with the staff to strategically position CNU initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team, including CNU staff and Board members
- Superior knowledge and experience with social media
- Knowledge of media and public relations
- Experience in developing and driving online communications and social media strategies
- Computer proficiency, including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), database (Filemaker Pro), desktop publishing in a Mac OS environment
- Ability to prepare reports, news releases and other documents
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities and projects
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to be highly organized in a fast-paced work environment
- Skills in interacting and maintaining effective relationships with Board members, staff, members and the general public
- Knowledge of and interest in New Urbanism and the design industry
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field from an accredited four-year college or university; or a level of education that, together with experience and training demonstrates the required knowledge skills and abilities
- Minimum of three years professional experience in a related field
- Experience with a non-profit a plus, but not required
Salary and Benefits: Salary based on experience. Benefits package includes medical, dental and life insurance; a 401k plan; and generous holiday and paid time off.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to CNU’s Administration & Finance Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 28, 2014. Position will be open until filled.
3,202 total views, 25 today