Transportation Alternatives is a nationally renowned non-profit focused on transportation issues in New York City. T.A.’s work is supported by more than 12,000 dues-paying members and a network of 100,000 supporters. T.A. is committed to reclaiming New York City’s streets for people by ensuring that every New Yorker has safe space to walk and bike and access to public transportation. Every day, all over the city, we’re working to make New York City’s neighborhoods safer and restore a vibrant culture of street life.
T.A. is a fast-growing and dynamic organization, with an annual budget of approximately $3.6 million raised from individual, foundation and corporate donors and from fundraising events. To help lead these efforts, T.A. is seeking and experienced fundraising professional to become its next Development Director.
The Development Director will lead and direct all of T.A.’s fundraising efforts, with direct responsibility for major gifts, foundation grants, and gala events, and oversight responsibility for corporate sponsorship, membership, and T.A.’s annual bike tours.
Working closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, s/he will:
• Strengthen and grow T.A.’s engagement with major donors to raise significantly more revenue for T.A. (50% of time)
• Manage T.A.’s annual summer gala (20% of time)
• Be a strong manager who can mentor and motivate a staff of seven in T.A.’s Development Team, together with part-time and seasonal staff and consultants (15% of time)
• Raise funds from foundations (10% of time)
• Participate in organizational planning and management, as a member of the Senior Management team (5% of time)
The Development Director must be highly intelligent, a leader and a self-starter with a passion for T.A.’s core mission and a demonstrated record of success in fundraising. S/he must be a creative, strategic thinker who thrives in a busy, collaborative workplace and can lead group efforts with a minimum of ego. Exceptional communication skills are crucial.
The Development Director is expected to excel in the following areas:
• Lead department of seven fundraising staff in executing an ambitious 2014-2015 fundraising plan.
• Strengthen and grow T.A.’s major gifts program, from research and identification of prospects, to cultivating and stewarding donors with timely acknowledgements, tailored communications, and cultivation events.
• Manage annual summer gala, working closely with event consultant, Executive Director, Board, host committee and other stakeholders to meet a 2015 revenue target of $350,000.
• Manage & strengthen relationships with foundation funders, including writing and editing proposals and reports for current and potential funders.
• Advise and collaborate with Board of Directors and Advisory Council to strategically direct their efforts towards cultivation and stewardship of major donors.
• Implement a planned giving program
• 5-7 years (or more) professional experience as a front-line fundraiser, with increasing levels of responsibility and success
• Demonstrated success in major gifts, including personally stewarding and closing gifts of up to five figures
• Outstanding interpersonal skills with a high comfort level with direct donor engagement
• A hands-on, supportive and creative manager
• Experience with membership and annual fund campaigns, online fundraising, event planning and corporate sponsorship.
• Experience using and managing fundraising databases (experience with Convio Luminate is a plus)
• Experience with planned giving is a plus
• Commitment to NYC
• Comfort working independently in a fast-paced campaign environment
• A sense of humor
We offer competitive salary and benefits including an employer contributed health/dental plan, a matching retirement plan, 3 weeks paid vacation, professional development opportunities, transit/bike commuter benefits and indoor bike parking. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to :
job_applications [at] transalt [dot] org with “Development Director” in the subject line.
No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference.
398 total views, 31 today