Director of Finance
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Transportation Alternatives (T.A.) is seeking an energetic, organized, and personable individual to work as a full time Director of Finance for a growing non-profit office with an operating budget of $3 million, 30 full and part time staff, and approximately 25 temporary workers annually.
The Director of Finance will be responsible for data entry, payroll, grant reporting, assisting and monitoring organizational and program budgets. The Director will contribute to organizational effectiveness by ensuring the accuracy of the financial systems and the timeliness of financial data. This position will report to the Chief Operations Officer.
Major responsibilities for the position include:
Accounting and Finance
- Maintain accurate day-to-day bookkeeping including A/P and A/R
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets for 10 cost centers, monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Manage cash flow and forecasting
- Manage and prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements, budgets, forecasts and other financial reports and analyses for the senior leadership team, Board of Directors, and Board Finance Committee
- Prepare and enter month’s end closing journal entries, including recording of all credit card expenses across nine credit card holders
- Reconcile checking, savings, money market, credit card and petty cash accounts. In conjunction with Development Director, reconcile and allocate credit card income deposited in (daily) batches via EFT into checking account.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit, managing relationship with auditors and ensuring that audit recommendations are assessed and implemented
- Ensure timely filing of Form 990 and NYS CHAR 500
- Partner with Development staff to coordinate financial accounting for Accounts Receivable with internal fundraising tracking systems (Convio, Salesforce) to ensure accurate reporting and management of donations
- Update and improve expense guidelines, policies and processes to ensure that they are: clear, flexible,(when necessary); and adhered to
- Organize fiscal and administrative documents
- Support financial administration and reporting of government contracts
- Oversee all program grants accounting
- Manage payroll and processing in PayChex
- Act as primary point of contact for PayChex and staff regarding payroll
- Perform semi-monthly payroll via on-line program
- Ensure W-2s and 1099s are distributed
- Work with the Operations Manager to manage the administration of benefits
Outstanding applicants will have a Bachelors Degree and relevant prior experience:
- Experience in bookkeeping (part- or full-time)
- Proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with employees, management team and Board of Directors
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment
- Strong project management skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Prior non-profit experience preferred
- Possess personal and professional integrity; this role requires exceptional discretion and judgment
Full time, 40 hour work week
Compensation: Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health and dental benefits, and three weeks paid vacation
How to Apply
1. Cover letter
Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Director of Finance Search
127 W. 26th Street, #1002
New York, NY 10001
job_applications [at] transalt [dot] org with Director of Finance Search in the subject line.
Women and people of color encouraged to apply.
No phone calls or walk-ins please.
2,052 total views, 1 today