For more than 25 years, Trailnet has brought our St. Louis community together to create positive change by encouraging healthy, active living. Our mission is to foster healthy, active and vibrant communities where walking, bicycling and the use of public transit are a way of life.
We are a forerunner in leading policy change, transportation planning efforts, and programs to improve our community’s quality of life. As a well-known and respected organization, Trailnet is often the first point of contact for the public and media when issues arise related to walking and biking. This trust positions us to be the “eyes on the ground” and rapid response organization for the region. Trailnet engages policymakers at all levels of the government–sharing best practices, evidence-based strategies and other support/resources. Our Healthy, Active and Vibrant Communities Initiative, created in partnership with the Missouri Foundation for Health, is a nationally recognized model for promoting healthy, active living.
We are urban planners and public health geeks, avid bicyclists and staunch supporters of local business. We believe an environment’s design determines its use – that form leads to function. We advocate for vibrant and connected places that invite entrepreneurship, community engagement and a higher quality of life. Learn more about us at www.trailnet.org.
With a committed Board of Directors and talented staff, we are seeking a strategic and visionary Executive Director who will carry the organization forward in fulfilling its mission at the highest level of excellence, keeping Trailnet at the leading edge of making St. Louis a livable and walkable community. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director oversees three areas of focus:
1. Resource Development:
- Fundraising – Being actively involved in the cultivation of major donors and identifying resource requirements is a major focus of the Executive Director’s position. The Director of Development will assist in efforts to foster the relationships necessary to pursue funding sources.
- Earned Income Opportunities – Develop and execute a business plan to pursue earned revenue opportunities through fee-for-service offerings.
2. Management of the Organization:
- Executive Leadership – Partner with the Board of Directors to provide effective leadership, guidance and strategic direction for Trailnet. Keep Board members fully informed and aligned with senior management. Motivate a competent and dedicated senior management team.
- Financial Management – Prudently manage the organization’s resources and present a sustainable annual budget to the Board of Directors for approval. Ensure the organization is in compliance with local, state and Federal regulations.
- Program Strategy & Effectiveness – Monitor evolving community needs and work with the Director of Programs in aligning services accordingly. Set expectations on service quality and client outcomes. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments in the field.
- Talent Management – Attract, develop and retain a high performing team of 20 employees. Empower and support staff in their efforts to take on new responsibilities. Lead an effective management team with appropriate provisions for succession.
3. Advocacy and Public Policy:
- Community – Serve as the face of Trailnet, consistently and positively presenting the organization, its mission, and services to all stakeholders. Develop, enhance, and maintain productive relationships with partnering agencies, corporate leaders, academic institutions, funders, media and communities.
- Public Policy & Advocacy – Partner with the Policy & Advocacy Manager to drive policy change that supports our mission. Develop and maintain productive relationships with policymakers (local, state and national) and collaborating organizations.
- Communications – Oversee the highest quality marketing and communications services to ensure effective branding, messaging and media interaction.
Qualified candidates must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 10 years of successful leadership/senior management experience, including non-profit leadership and/or prior experience working with non-profit boards.
- A track record of having developed and implemented growth strategies that have taken an organization to the next level.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is desirable.
- Proven success in fund development, including knowledge of and/or success in soliciting individual, foundation and corporate grants. Prior experience working with local, state and national government funding is desirable.
- Familiarity with public policy and experience working with policymakers.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors and demonstrated ability to activate high level Board engagement/support.
- A passion for Trailnet’s mission and the ability to convey our mission to various audiences with persuasive communication skills.
- Must be a creative, systems thinker with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the community.
- Experience working in a complex and diverse environment.
- Must be comfortable in taking risks, optimistically pursuing new opportunities, and involving others in the decision-making process while remaining an independent decision-maker.
- Ability to foster a healthy organizational culture, to encourage teamwork and collaboration.
- Financial acumen with the ability to analyze financial statements.
- Written and oral communication skills of a high order.
- Solid computer skills and a willingness to adopt new technology.
How to Apply
If you are qualified and interested, take the next step and confidentially apply on-line through our search consultant, Collaborative Strategies Inc., at www.csiapply.com. All resumes and inquiries will be treated as confidential.
Please contact Collaborative Strategies at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a confidential inquiry or if you experience any difficulties with the system. Please do not contact Trailnet directly.
Connecting talent with opportunity since 1994, Collaborative Strategies is a St. Louis-based consulting firm with a dedicated boutique search practice. We take pride in matching entrepreneurial leaders with great opportunities and organizations such as Trailnet.
Equal Opportunity Employer
1,701 total views, 30 today