New York City Bike Ambassador, Staten Island Lead
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
One seasonal part- time position available
April 15- November 15, 2013, 16 hours/week
Transportation Alternatives is New York City’s leading transportation advocacy organization, with a citywide network of 100,000 active supporters committed to reclaiming New York City’s streets for people. T.A. works to ensure that every New Yorker has safe space to walk and bike and access to public transportation.
Summary of Position:
Transportation Alternatives (T.A.) seeks an experienced, outgoing, team-oriented community organizer to join the organization as an hourly Staten Island Lead for our central safe bicycling advocacy campaign, the New York City Bike Ambassador program.
The New York City Bike Ambassadors work on the ground to organize and engage New Yorkers around safer streets. We are seeking a knowledgeable and dedicated organizer who is familiar with Staten Island, and is passionate about working with others to improve the city’s streets in all five boroughs. The Staten Island Lead will report to T.A.’s Field Organizing Coordinator and will work with T.A. staff to plan, prepare for and attend outreach events around New York City. In the field, the Staten Island Lead will run on-site outreach operations and will set the tone for a productive and engaging work environment for a team of ambassadors and volunteer activists. At the beginning of the program, the Staten Island Lead will collaborate with other borough Leads to undergo training about Transportation Alternatives’ advocacy campaigns and New York City government and policy as a means to prepare for a season in the field.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, prepare for and conduct bike safety outreach around borough specific campaigns
- Engage bike share users city wide in support of T.A.’s mission
- Be an outgoing and articulate model for safe and responsible bike riding in New York City
- Build relationships with community-based organizations to foster support for bicycling, bike lanes and increased bicycle ridership on a neighborhood level
- Manage and distribute bike safety equipment and materials
- Oversee site- specific field operations, and act as Lead among Bike Ambassador staff in the field
- Fervent desire to make bicycling and walking safer in New York City
- Ability to work in a team environment to meet deadlines and accomplish common goals
- A genuine love of Staten Island and New York City
- Experience in community organizing and strong public speaking skills a plus
- Fluent Spanish and/or Chinese speaking and writing skills are a plus
- Position requires a flexible schedule, including early mornings, nights and weekends
- Work takes place mostly outdoors, candidates must be comfortable working outside
- Commitment to making New York City a better place to bike, walk and use public transit
- Commitment to organizing people to achieve change
- A good sense of humor
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Bike Ambassador, Staten Island Lead search
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
No phone calls or walk-ins, please
527 total views, 1 today